Impacter is a new source plug-in prototype inspired by the spirit of the original SoundSeed Impact Plug-in. It allows designers to load “impact” sound files into the plug-in and generate sound variations using cross-synthesis, as well as manipulations using intuitive physically-informed parameters.
Impacter’s properties allow designers to manipulate the physicality of the source sounds:
- Mass uniquely stretches or compresses the length and pitch of the sound to change its feeling of size or weight.
- Velocity affects the intensity of the impact, changing the timbre and amplitude of the sound.
- Position shapes the timbre of the sound as if the impact was occurring at different places on a surface. Think of how a drum skin sounds different at the edges compared to the middle.
- Roughness adds a metallic inharmonicity to the sound.
Randomizing parameters and cross synthesis combinations makes Impacter a powerful variation generator:
- When using Impacter with a collection of files, the plug-in will randomize the choice of impact and body with each play event.
- A small set of footstep sound files for example suddenly becomes many more variations.
The functionality of Wwise has been extended to support Impacter:
- There is no need for an external analysis tool or handling of analysis result files
- All the analysis is handled within the Authoring plug-in
- Resulting synthesis model is packaged into the project’s soundbanks.
Impacter UE4 Demo
- The Impacter UE4 Demo consists of a prebuilt game for both Mac and Windows, as well as the corresponding Wwise and Unreal projects. The simple game environment includes multiple objects and surfaces that can collide to trigger impact events.
- In Wwise 2021.1, the demo is included with the installation of Impacter and can be found in SDK/plugins/Impacter/Unreal/ImpacterUE4Demo.
- On macOS, Gatekeeper will block the Wwise integration libraries. Please find the workaround on our Q&A.
- If you're using Wwise 2022.1, including the Public Beta, click here to download the demo
Download Impacter UE4 Demo
Versions & platforms
This plug-in is compatible with the following Wwise versions: 2021.1 to 2023.1
This plug-in runs on the following platforms.