One Minute Wwise | Connect to your game with WAAPI (Python)
How to connect Wwise to your game using WAAPI. Demonstrating a very basic example in Python and shows you how to make it into a Stream Deck button. No commercials, no lengthy introductions.
To create a WAAPI function that connects Wwise to your game, you can do it like this:
1. Prepare your computer, by installing Python.
2. Install the WAAPI Client.
3. Modify one of the Audiokinetic Samples from the webpage.
4. and execute it.
So let's do it! We need to install Python 3. Once Python is installed, make sure the WAAPI client is installed. And then open your preferred code editor. If you don't have one, you can use notepad, but I'll be using VS Code, which is free. To get started, let's modify one of the Audiokinetic Python WAAPI samples. So copy paste the code into your editor and save the file as '.py'.
Time to modify! We won't be getting any information from Wwise like in this script, but instead we'll make Wwise connect to the game. Just like if you were to open Wwise, then Remote Connections..., pick the game and click Connect. So therefore let's delete everything inside the WaapiClient() except for the last client.call(), which we're going to use. So instead of getting an object from Wwise, we need another function. So to find your specific call, you can go to the Audiokinetic webpage. The one we'll need is the ak.wwise.core.remote.connect and then just replace it with the first input. Next we need to specify the host, which is an IP address. If you are running the game on the same computer, then it's just the local host with this IP - 127.0.0.1. You can now either run the code from your editor, or open the command line and write 'py' and drag in the file.
That's basically it. But if you want to execute this faster, you can make a '.bat' file with the command, which you can then call from your game, your Stream Deck, and so on, and connect the Profiler without having to switch to Wwise.
* Python Script: https://github.com/MadsMaretty/OneMinuteWwise/blob/master/Connect%20to%20your%20game%20with%20WAAPI%20(Python)/ConnectProfiler.py
* Get Python: https://www.python.org/downloads/
* WAAPI Client for Python: https://pypi.org/project/waapi-client/
* WAAPI samples: https://hubs.ly/H0rFtPD0
* WAAPI functions: https://hubs.ly/H0rFtRY0
* ak.wwise.core.remote.connect: https://hubs.ly/H0rFxQZ0
* Getting Started with WAAPI: https://hubs.ly/H0rFxR70
* Stream Deck: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck
* Starting/Stopping the Capture Process: https://hubs.ly/H0rFxCT0
* How to use the Profiler: https://hubs.ly/H0rFxRt0