One Minute Wwise | Creating a Pure Data Plugin for Wwise
Learn to create a Pure Data patch that controls a Game Parameter and convert it into a plugin for Wwise. No commercials, no lengthy introductions - get 'Wwiser' in a minute!
* Only works with Wwise 2019.2.11 or older versions.
Let's make a Plugin from a Pure Data patch. To do so, you need to...
1. Perform a few preparations.
2. Create your own PD patch.
3. Convert the patch into a Plugin.
4. And then use that in Wwise.
Start by installing Python and Visual Studio with the "Desktop Development with C++" component. Next, download the Heavy compiler - a tool that turns Pure Data Patches into C source code. And install it like this. Then, in the Heavy Compiler's c2wwise python script, set the Wwise SDK version to your installed Wwise version. Your computer is now ready, so let's head into Pure Data.
Let's make an Effect plugin. Most commonly, one would put some effect on the signal chain here, like for example Gain. But since you can also send to a Game Parameter, I'd like to make a plugin that tells a Game Parameter, for how long time the sound has been playing. So let's make a counter using a metronome, influence it in BPM and send that value with the exact name 'timesincestart'. Now, run the Heavy python script, add the path to your PD patch, give it a name, choose where to put it, and specify that you need it for Wwise. Then open the Visual Studio solution, set it to release and then build it. Now find that build, take the authoring plugin parts and put it in your Wwise Plugins folder. You can now add it to a sound in Wwise, and once you play the sound, the timesincestart Game Parameter will slowly count up. That's it!
- Referencing the Wwise 2021.1 SDK or newer will not work due to significant version changes.
- If you get a "The Windows SDK version 8.1 was not found" error, retarget the solution to 10.0.17763.
* Get PD Patch: https://github.com/MadsMaretty/OneMinuteWwise/blob/master/Creating%20a%20Pure%20Data%20Plugin%20for%20Wwise/Clock_TimePlayed.pd
* More on creating Pure Data plugins for Wwise: https://hubs.ly/H0rygW_0
* Setup and how-to-run walkthrough: https://hubs.ly/H0rCsSt0
* Using Heavy with Wwise: https://github.com/enzienaudio/hvcc/blob/master/docs/06.wwise.md
* Get Heavy Compiler: https://github.com/enzienaudio/hvcc
* Get Python: https://www.activestate.com/products/python/downloads/
* Get Visual Studio: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com
* Get Pure Data: https://puredata.info/downloads
* Using Game Parameters: https://www.audiokinetic.com/courses/wwise101/?source=wwise101&id=using_game_parameters
* How to create a filter with Pure Data: http://write.flossmanuals.net/pure-data/filters/
* List of Supported Pd Objects: https://web.archive.org/web/20161013051300/https://enzienaudio.com/docs/pdobjects.html
* Additional Heavy Library: https://github.com/enzienaudio/heavylib
Where else to find us: