Table of Contents
Wwise SDK 2021.1.2
The Wwise Authoring API is used to communicate with the Wwise authoring application. The functions available in the API allow the clients to perform several tasks, including:
Wwise project manipulations, such as:
- Retrieving objects and their information
- Setting information on objects
- Creating new objects
Common operations, such as:
- Importing audio files
- Generating SoundBanks
- Converting audio files
- Playing Wwise objects
User interface access and control, such as:
- Opening views
- Accessing the current selection and changing it
- Inspecting objects
SoundEngine usage, such as
- Creating Game objects and setting their position
- Posting Events
- Setting Game Parameter values, Switches and States
The Wwise Authoring API can be integrated within:
- A game engine
- A dialogue management pipeline
- A DAW for sound design, editing, dialogue recording, or music production
- All kinds of scripts
The Wwise Authoring API can be used to:
- Automate tasks, such as importing audio files or creating Wwise objects
- Remotely control Wwise on mobile devices
- Implement custom Wwise interfaces
- Add custom functionalities to Wwise. Refer to Defining Command Add-ons.
WAAPI is an API allowing other processes to talk with Wwise Authoring. WAAPI supports bidirectional communications, allowing processes to invoke remote procedure calls and to subscribe to their topics of interest so as to be notified when changes occur in Wwise.
WAAPI gives access to three different layers of functionality:
- Wwise User Interface: views, selection, commands, etc.
- Wwise Authoring Core: project and objects, SoundBanks, audio files, transport, etc.
- Wwise Sound Engine: Game Object, Post Event, RTPC Value, etc.
WAAPI can be used from a variety of programming languages. Refer to Programming Languages to find the language that suits your workflow best.
Read more about specific topics:
- Preparing to use the Wwise Authoring API
- Getting Started with the Wwise Authoring API (WAAPI)
- WAAPI Samples
- Querying the Wwise Project
- Subscribing to Topics in the Wwise Authoring API
- Importing Audio Files and Creating Structures
- Using the Wwise Authoring API in Wwise Plug-ins
- Wwise Authoring API Examples Index
Refer to the following topics for the Wwise Authoring API reference: