Wwise Unity Integration Documentation
- Installing the Wwise Addressables Package with the Unity Package Manager and GitHub
- Setting Up and Building with the Wwise Addressables Package
- Building the Project
- Removing the Wwise Addressables Package
The official repository for the Wwise Addressables Package is : https://github.com/audiokinetic/WwiseUnityAddressables.
- Open the Unity Package Manager, click the '+' icon and select Add package from git URL....
- Paste https://github.com/audiokinetic/WwiseUnityAddressables.git in the text field and click Add.
More information about using packages hosted on Git repositories can be found in the Unity documentation.
|Note:||If you see an error containing the message "No 'git' executable was found", you will have to add the directory containing the git.exe executable to your system environment and possibly restart your system for the changes to take effect.|
|Note:||The Unity Addressables Package must also be added to the project for Wwise addressables to function properly. The package is listed as a dependancy of the Wwise Addressables Package and should be installed automatically.|
If using Unity 2018.x, add AK_WWISE_ADDRESSABLES and UNITY_ADDRESSABLES to Scripting Define Symbols in Project Settings > Player > Other Settings.
|Warning: This package is not officially supported for Unity 2018. Use this version at your own risk.|
Step 1: Set the target directory for your generated SoundBanks in Project Settings > Wwise Editor > Generated SoundBanks Path.
|Caution: This directory must be inside your Assets folder for the SoundBanks to be properly imported.|
- In this example we set the target directory to
- Changing this path automatically modifies the output target directories in Wwise.
- If Wwise Authoring is open when this change is made, a dialog opens prompting you to reload the project.
Step 2: Generate SoundBanks, either from within Wwise Authoring or using the Wwise Picker.
- At this point, the custom asset importers for .bnk and .wem files create Unity assets for generated SoundBanks and streaming media files.
- Metadata files and platform-specific groups are automatically generated in the AddressableAssetsData directory.
- You can confirm that your assets were properly imported by inspecting the files in the Generated SoundBanks Path.
- For more details, see Wwise Addressable Assets Explained.
Step 3: Click Window > Asset Management > Addressables > Groups. The Wwise Addressables Groups window opens.
By default, one group is created for each deployment platform containing the platform-specific SoundBank assets. Separate groups are created containing only the Init SoundBank for each deployment platform.
If you inspect the WwiseGlobal object in the scene, you will find that an Init Bank Holder component has been added to it.
Step 4: Create a Wwise Build Script for Addressables.
- We recommend placing this in
AddressableAssetsData/DataBuildersalongside the default build scripts.
- Right-click anywhere in the browser and select Create > Addressables > Content Builders > Wwise Build Script.
- This creates an asset named BuildScriptWwisePacked.
Step 5: Inspect the Addressables settings.
- By default, they are found in AddressableAssetsData/AddressableAssetSettings
- From the Groups window: Tools > Inspect System Settings
- From the editor: Window > AssetManagement > Addressables> Settings
Step 6: Add BuildScriptWwisePacked to the Addressables build scripts. In the inspector for AddressableAssetSettings, add the BuildScriptWwisePacked asset you created in Step 4 to the Build and Play Mode scripts.
Build the Addressable asset bundles from the Groups window using the Wwise Build Script. This will generate all general asset bundles (e.g. Default Local Group) as well as platform specific asset bundles in
Caution: The Wwise Build Script modifies the Include in Build property of WwiseData group schemas. If a group has WwiseData in its name, it will only be included if the name also contains the target build platform name. This behaviour can be modified in the
Once the addressable assets have been built, the project can be built as usual.
|Caution: You will have to rebuild the Addressable groups if you modify or add new SoundBanks to your project. Also remember to rebuild Addressable groups after you switch platforms.|
In the build directory :
- Addressable asset bundles are copied to
Removing this package requires a few additional steps for the Wwise integration to function properly.
- Delete the folder containing generated SoundBanks from your Unity assets folder.
- Uninstall the package, either through the Unity package manager or by deleting the corresponding line in the
- In your Wwise Project Settings, set the SoundBank Paths to a path outside of the Assets folder.
- Regenerate your SoundBanks.
- If you are still using the Unity Addressables package, be sure to clean up your Addressables groups.
|Note:||If using Unity 2018, remember to remove the AK_WWISE_ADDRESSABLES and UNITY_ADDRESSABLES Scripting Define Symbols in Project Settings > Player > Other Settings.|